There is nothing quite as exciting as having a house built just for you. This article outlines the benefits and also offers new home buying tips.
Benefits of Buying a New Construction Home
There are many great benefits to buying a new construction home. First, the home will be build to the latest standards using the most up to date construction techniques. The modern materials and products mean that your new home will be solid and easy to maintain. New homes are more energy efficient which saves you money on heating and cooling. Perhaps the greatest benefits of all, though, is that you can get exactly what you want. Because you can choose your features and your floor plan you can decide what will be the perfect fit for you and your family.
New Home Buying Tips
This list of tips on buying a new home will help you to be prepared and plan for exactly what you need in your home.
- Start by knowing your price range. This will give you a good idea of the type and size of home you can afford as well as where you can afford to have it located.
- Get pre-approved for your mortgage. By being pre-approved you will have the benefit of knowing exactly how much money you can borrow plus it allows you to act quickly when you find the right floor plan and builder.
- Sit down and make a list of all your requirements in a home. How many bedrooms? Bathrooms? Will you need an office if you plan to work from home? How close to transportation do you need to be? Are you an avid cook who entertains often and needs a big kitchen? The more detailed you can be with your needs the easier it will be to narrow down your home search and decide on a floor plan and location that is perfect for you.
- Keep a list of the homes that you visit with notes about advantages and disadvantages. Take a camera with you and take photos so you can see each house while you are going back through your notes. Because most buyers tour many new homes in their search it is easy to become confused and forget which house had what.
- Be open to listening to your builder. They may have suggestions or ideas that you haven't thought of.
- Ask about price. What is the base price of a home versus the price of the model home you are viewing? What would be the additional cost for any upgrades or improvements you want? Are changes possible and if so what are any extra fees associated with making changes to the original plan.
How long will it take to build the house? Ask for a solid number here...such as a start date and an end date rather than a broad estimate.