3 Ways to keep your home safe while you're away
Don't spend your winter escape worrying about your house. Here are some easy tips to help protect your biggest investment while you unwind.
Make it seem like you never left
- Have a friend or family member either house-sit or drop by your home daily.
- Use light timers to turn on key lights in the evening, giving the impression that you're home.
- Install motion lights in entryways to surprise and expose trespassers.
- Have your mail collected or put a hold on your subscriptions to prevent obvious vacation mail build up.
- Don't broadcast your vacation to everyone you know, especially online. Save your excitement for close friends and relish the post-vacation envy your social media posts and photos will bring.
Prevent indoor disasters
- Drain your water pipes and turn off the main water valve to prevent pipes from bursting if they freeze.
- Turn your furnace down and change the filters if you notice a lot of build up.
- Double-check all combustion appliances, such as gas stoves, to make sure they're off and not leaking into your home.
- Unplug valuable electrical devices in case of a power surge while you're away.
Put your house on lockdown
- Don't hide the extra key outside: instead place it in the care of a neighbour or close friend.
- Make sure all windows and doors are secured, even high ones and those in your garage.
- For sliding windows and doors, consider placing a bar across the indoor track for added security.
Now relax and enjoy your trip!