Carbon Monoxide Detectors

 

New legislation in Ontario makes the carbon monoxide detectors mandatory in all residences.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas, a byproduct of combustion, that can be lethal if allowed to build up in high levels inside a dwelling. When inhaled, carbon monoxide prevents the blood from absorbing or transporting oxygen.

Heating systems and ventilation systems are designed to move CO and other byproducts of combustion out of the home. However, sometimes blocks can occur which lead to tragedy. To be most effective, carbon monoxide detectors should be installed as near as possible to sleeping areas. Combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are also available.

Blog Archives

Tags