In today's real estate market, a coat of paint and a good cleaning aren't enough for a quick sale at top dollar. You need to inspire the buyer's imagination and make them want to live there – and that is where home staging comes in.
When staging, the three rooms that can make or break a sale are the kitchen, master bedroom and family room. Buyers have the high expectation for these spaces, so they should be the priority. The family room is often the first stop on the tour and it provides a huge opportunity to create impact, easily.
• Add a fireplace – this one element creates an inviting focal point with wow power. If you don't have an existing fireplace, electric is the way to go –and this change can be yours in a flash. Innovative companies like Dimplex, for example, offer a number of designer options for every décor style. The plug-and-play designs make installation a breeze.
• Paint – You've heard it before, a fresh coat of paint will give your rooms a clean, inviting look. White or neutral is a safe bet, but consider creating an accent wall surrounding your fireplace for real impact.
• Remnant rug – A new rug can warm up the room, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Check out carpet showrooms, as you will usually find remnants of carpet that have been bound. A neutral rug will help to ground the space.
• Accessories – Clean and modest is key. Simple groupings of pillows, candles and frames, and a throw will make the space appear polished, but lived in. Personal photos and half burnt candles are a no-no.
• Flowers – People love seeing live plants and flowers in the family room. It gives a sense of life and good energy.