There’s a reason why home ownership is considered part of the Canadian Dream. People aspire to home ownership for the financial and social benefits to people, communities and Ontario.
- Home owners say they have a better of Quality of Life. They report being happier, healthier and enjoy a greater feeling of control over their lives.
- Home owners are free to redecorate, renovate and modify their homes as they wish.
- Most home owners enjoy stable housing costs – a fixed rate mortgage payment might change a little over time while rent in Ontario has increased on average 3.5% a year.
- Home owners are civically engaged. Home owners are much more likely to say they voted in the last municipal election than renters.
- Home owners are significantly more likely to have donated to charity, participated in local festivals/events, volunteered, and written a letter to their editor.
- The overwhelming majority (94%) of Ontarians agree that owning a home provides a stable and healthy environment for raising a family.
- 72% of Ontario households are owner occupied. Ontario is a province of homeowners.
- In 2010, Ontario MLS® home sales generated $9.3 billion in additional consumer spending.
- Every home purchased in Ontario pumps $47,575 into the economy for furniture, home improvements and related items.
- Home sales on MLS® generate over 80,000 direct and indirect jobs annually in Ontario.