The Custom House
Hamilton’s oldest known ghost resides at the city’s original Custom House. The building was once used for government business, and since opening in 1860, the building has changed hands over and over.
Today it houses the national museum dedicated to the blue-collared workers of Canada –
The Workers Arts & Heritage Centre.
Throughout all those businesses, organizations and energies, one entity has remained within those walls for over 150 years, interacting with each generation… that is, The Dark Lady.
Quick History of The Custom House
Any goods or people coming into the city of Hamilton in the 1800's had to check in to this building to pay their taxes. Today checkpoints are for countries, not cities... not the case back before the automobile.
The Hamilton Customs Department would remain in this building for 27 years, before moving to bigger offices in the Post Office building that once stood at King and John Streets in Downtown Hamilton.
Many businesses would occupy this space with their activities and people over the next century. It's in this expansive history that the energy originates, giving this building its legendary ghostly energy.
Here are the different faces of The Custom House over the years:
- The Murray Street School - until 1893
- The YWCA - until 1904
- Vinegar Factory - until 1915
- Woodhouse Invigorator Company - until 1917
- Ontario Yarn Company - until 1950
- Naples Macaroni Company - until 1979
- A Martial Arts Academy - until 1992
- Computing company - until 1993
- ... and finally the Worker's Art and Heritage Centre - until present
Today you can visit to museum during the day, but definitely come back on the night of Ghost Walk to met it's energetic inhabitants.
Dates and Times
- Saturday October 25th, 2014 - 7:00pm ⁄ 7:30pm & 9:30pm
- Halloween! Fri Oct 31st, 2014 - 7:00pm ⁄ 7:30pm ⁄ 8:00pm
9:00pm & 9:30pm
- Saturday December 6th, 2014 - 8:00pm & 8:30pm
Private Walks for groups available
Ghost Walk Prices
Adults . . . $15.00
Kids 13 & Under . . $8.00
Seniors 60 & over . $13.00
For more information regarding the Custom House please go to: