When your home is listed for sale it can be a very stressful and disruptive time for your family. Sellers often get their homes "picture perfect" for the photo shoot but afterwards tend to find it difficult to keep the home at that "show ready" state. It is not uncommon to get calls from your Realtor about a last minute showing or a showing during the day when everyone has already hastily left for school and work. Here is a short list of tips and tricks that I have come up with to help you stay on track:
1) Give each family member a drawer, basket or box for their toiletries. Toiletries are to be put away after use.
2) Keep disposal cleaning cloths such as Lysol Wipes under the sinks for quick touch ups and for wiping out sinks on your way out the door in the morning.
3) Robot vacuums can be extremely helpful for staying on top of pet hair and crumbs!
4) Fluffy duvets with covers and cushions that are kept in the closet at night but put on top of the regular bedding in the morning can disguise the not so tightly made bed and keep the beds looking fresh.
5) Ensure all extra items that are not used on a regular basis are stored away out of sight. Some people find renting a storage unit handy for extra furniture, clothes and kitchen items.
6) One load a day; sometimes it is much easier when trying to keep the home show ready to do one load of laundry a day instead of piling it up for laundry day.
7) Ensure morning dishes are put into the dishwasher along with any cooking utensils used; if anything is not dishwasher safe still put it in the dishwasher until there's time to do dishes. If you do not have a dishwasher, paper plates can be useful for the morning routine or hide the dirty dishes in the stove until you get home.
Homes that show well usually sell faster, and for more money. Furthermore, in a slow market you don't want to turn down a showing because you are not ready. Best of luck to all Sellers out there for a quick and stress free sale!