DO I HAVE MOLD?

EXCELLENT INFORMATION CONCERNING MOLD.  DO YOU HAVE IT.  HOW DO I GET RID OF IT.  IS IT DANGEROUS.   INFORMATION ANSWERING THESE TRICKY QUESTIONS.  THANKS TO OUR FRIENDS AT PILLAR TO POST. 

Mold is a relatively common household occurrence that can potentially cause health problems as well as damage to structures and surfaces. Although most molds are harmless, some can cause serious respiratory problems, especially in sensitive individuals, so it's important to be aware of potential mold growth in your home. As with most things, a little knowledge goes a long way - read below for information that will help you identify a mold problem.

Mold Basics:
Mold enters your home as tiny spores, which need moisture to begin growing, digesting and destroying. Mold can grow on almost any surface, including wood, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, paints, carpet, sheet rock, and insulation, given the right conditions.

Identifying the Problem:
Mold most often appears as small black or white specks in places like your damp bathroom or basement walls. To the unaided eye, mold has a variety of appearances: fuzzy, velvety, leathery, powdery, and glassy. Mold colonies may appear to be black stains or patches of white, yellow, green, brown, black, gray, or even pink. Some mold may be hidden behind wall coverings or ceiling tiles, but is often visible to the naked eye.

Where to Look:
Mold grows best when there is an abundance of moisture, so it is often found in areas with water damage or excessive humidity. Mold can also be found growing along walls where warm moist air condenses on cooler wall surfaces, such as behind dressers, headboards, and in closets where articles are stored against walls. Mold often grows in rooms with both high water usage and humidity, such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and basements.

Trust your nose:
The compounds produced by molds have strong smells, which are volatile and quickly released into the air. Because these compounds often have strong or unpleasant odors, they can cause a "moldy" or musty smell frequently associated with mold growth. A musty odor suggests that mold is growing in the building and should be investigated.

Fast and Furious:
If you suspect a mold problem, you should address the issue as quickly as possible, as mold can spread quickly. You can successfully clean up a small amount of mold yourself using a simple solution warm water and soap, but larger infestations should be removed by a professional mitigation expert.

Please contact your local Pillar To Post office for your mold inspection or visit pillartopost.com.

 


Craig Hostland P. Eng. RHI lic # 47075

Craig.Hostland@pillartopost.com
www.pillartopost.com

There are no comments

Thank you! Your comment has been submitted and is awaiting approval.

Nancy Venditello

Nancy Venditello

Sales Representative
CENTURY 21 Executives Realty Ltd.
Contact Me

Blog Archives