If your garage, basement or attic is full of junk, it’s time to declutter your house. Here’s how to determine what to get rid of, and how to get rid of it.
How to decide what is clutter:
- Have you used it in the last year?
- Can you use it in the next week?
- Does it have any sentimental value?
- Is the item a duplicate? Meaning, do you have more than one?
How to get rid of the clutter:
- Host a yard / garage sale.
- Declutter for charity! Mark a box for ‘giveaway’ and have the family help you fill it up. The charity will give you a receipt for tax purposes.
- Sell it on eBay.
- Give it away on Craigslist.
- Give it to friends or neighbors.
- Take it to a dump, which often will have a ‘freecycle’ area where people can recover your unwanted goods.
When you decide to dispose of clutter at the dump, keep in mind that electronics aren’t always disposable in dumps/landfills for environmental reasons.**If you have any questions, phone Edmonton's 311 and they will answer all your questions for you.