Top Reasons to Sell Over the Winter:
#1 – Serious Buyers
• Yes there are fewer buyers, but those buyers are usually very SERIOUS about making a purchase or many HAVE to make a purchase.
#2 – Less Competition
• Most sellers wait until the spring or summer to list, so your home will have far less competition
• Spring = Greater supply = Same Demand = Less Money
#3 – January is the Biggest Transfer Month
• More corporate relocation moves happen during January than any other time of the year.
• Catch the corporate relocation buyers
#4 – High Attentive Efficient Service
• By putting the home on the market during the winter you experience better, personal and faster customer service from movers, lawyers, banks, insurance providers etc.
#5 – More Time to Get Top Dollar
• By starting to market your home early, you may be able to secure a higher price with more listing exposure time.
#6 – Time to Shop
• If your home sells quickly, you will be able to shop for your next home during the winter, a great time to find a bargain!
• More time to look and not pressure to shop and beat the other buyers.
#7 – More Advertising Punch
• Most REALTORS® and offices have less inventory during the winter, enabling your home to stand out even more.
• Less marketing noise out there for the buyers and they see your home with ease now.
#8 – The Inexpensive Money
• Today’s interest rates are still some of the lowest in history. This gives buyers more spending power and increases your buyer pool
• When shopping for your next home, you can benefit from the low interest on your new mortgage.
#9 – 20% of Homes Sold During the Winter
• Buyers and Sellers are usually quite motivated to get the transaction completed.
• This can mean less price haggling and fewer hassles during the process.
#10 – Non-Contingent Buying
• By selling now, you may have an opportunity to be a non-contingent buyer during the spring, when more houses are on the market!
• Less “subject to the sale” offers from buyers and you are not one of them when you are buying your next home.
#11 – No Yard Work
• Great time for a home that needs a yard make over to sell.
• No need to worry about your yard work. Snow makes it look fresh and white.
#12 – Buyers Are Searching
• Buyers begin the search and purchase for spring moves in January, February.
• Busy move times are March Spring Break, April Easter and May long weekend
#13 – No Pricing Games
• Less choice for buyers means less sellers to play pricing against each other
• Buyers will often make more concession in their buying decision with less choice
#14 – Show Time
• Property shows well, almost staged with holiday décor adding to the ambiance
• Tis the season for your home to shine!
#15 – Quality Showings
• Little chance of quick showings and not being prepared to show your home
• Easier time of year to make appointments and give sellers advance notice.
• Higher quality showings
#16 – Right Buyer, Right Time
• The odds are the same for the right buyer looking at your home regardless of the season.
• Right buyer, right time, right home
Top 10 Reasons to Buy Over the Winter:
#1 – Competing Offers
• Little or no chance of multiple or competing offers for the buyer
#2 – Service
• Better service from all service providers like the agents, banks, insurers etc. Not as busy now.
#3 – Motivation
• Sellers motivated at this time of year if still trying to sell from summer or fall.
#4 – Negotiation
• Sellers willing to negotiate, been on the market for some time now. Give and take.
#5 – Expired
• Buyers can shop the expired listings market, which has the largest selection this time of the year.
#6 – Closing Options
• Good time of year to make an offer and do the due diligence, buyers can move quickly now or slower in the spring if not in a rush.
#7 – Housing Options
• Easier for sellers to find alternative housing, not as much pressure finding a rental vs. the really busy spring and summer season.
#8 – Subject to the Sale
• Great time for buyers to make contingent “Subject to the Sale” offers and get them accepted and movement on the price.
#9 – Moving Services
• Easier time for a buyer to move and find help and services like movers, cleaners, storage.
#10 – Completions
• Better timing for buyers on completions with lawyers, banks land registry. Not that busy and time to attend to you now.
#11 – Competition
• Less competition for the same property from other buyers on the deals that pop up this time of year.
*Reposted from Agents Boost 11/25/15 with thanks to the original author Wade Webb.