The Safer Communities and Neighborhoods Act (SCAN)
The SCAN act is implemented to assist residents in regaining and maintaining safety and comfort in their neighbourhoods. This is done by residents reporting problems within the community, and any sort of activity they believe to me illegal or suspicious.
The SCAN Act provides some common signs of illigal activities below, and what to watch for:
- Frequent visitors
- Frequent late night activity
- Blackened windows or curtains always drawn
- Unfriendly people who appear to be secretive
- People watching cars suspiciously as they're driving by
- Heavy duty home security
- Strange odors coming from home/building, or garbage
- Garbage that contain an unusual amount of bottles or containers
- Placing their garbage in a neighbours collection area
If you have any concerns about activity in your neighborhood don't hesitate to contact SCAN Investigation Unit at 1-866-517-2337. Do not investigate the activity or suspicions yourself!