On a daily basis, we are constantly inundated with negativism. There is talk of impending aggression between nations, civil strife in some countries, poverty in others, and nuclear waste contaminating parts of the earth. Even here in our province, the interest rates have started creeping up. How should we handle all this? To become better and move forward, we have to keep putting positive information in our brain to counter the negative thoughts that we encounter daily through the media. To retrain your thinking and become a positive person, do the following:
- Use verbal affirmations every day. An affirmation is a positive statement that something is already happening. For example, say out loud: I am having a great day. Business and success flow to me. I am good at what I do. I radiate happiness.
- Use positive language. The subconscious mind reacts to the language that is being used. Avoid negativism. Make positive statements.
- Surround yourself with positive images. Have physical reminders of things you consider positive. Famous quotes that impressed you, inspiring pictures, affirmations, things that give you a feeling of happiness are all positive.
- Say “Thank you” out loud for the experiences of the day, for the people you love, for the work you accomplished, for the food you ate, for the success you achieved. Say “thank you” as many times as you can every day.
- Listen to inspirational talks or music in the car instead of depressing news.
- Use positive thinking while exercising. Say: I am strong and healthy. I am powerful and alert. It is incredible how saying these words can give you strength and increase your stamina.
- Create a vision board which is a physical manifestation of your life the way you want it to be. Find a picture of your dream house, your favorite car, places you want to visit, the job you would like to do, food you like to eat, people you want to be like. Put lots of pictures to act as a reminder for you of what your life can be.
These steps may not change the world but they will put a spin in your life. Try them and feel how awesome life really is.