You can reduce the risk of flooding by undertaking a few preventative measures:
- Remove snow from around your home and clear channels in ice and snow to allow meltwater to drain away from your home and the foundation more effectively.
- Clear ice, snow and debris out of gutters, downspouts, rain barrels and splash pads..
- ensure downspouts are extended so that they discharge rain and meltwater away from your home. Suggested distance is two meters.
- Check to make sure sump pump is working properly. If the home is constructed with a bypass switch, ensure the switch is in the correct position to dischage water overland and not into the sanitary sewer system. If the home was constructed with a sump pump that discharges into the sanitary sewer, the City strongly encourages residents to make arrangements with a plumber to change this. Residents may be eligible for a grant to help offset the cost of this work.
- If sewer backups have been a concern, consider installing a Sewer Backwater Valve. Residents may be eligible for a grant to help offset the cost of this work.
Check it out City of Humboldt Storm Water Rebate Program