Peterborough & The Kawarthas
Fast Facts about Peterborough and the Kawarthas
- Located an hour's drive northeast of Toronto, Ontario in the beautiful Kawarthas lake region, the Greater Peterborough Area is comprised of the City of Peterborough and eight municipalities within the County of Peterborough.
- Located on the historic Trent-Severn Waterway.
Peterborough is home to the highest hydraulic Lift Lock in the world.
- Over 134 lakes within the Peterborough Region.
- Peterborough’s downtown core features more than sixty restaurants.
- In Peterborough & the Kawarthas, there are over 300 festivals and events in the summer months
- Peterborough ranked 9th on the Moneysense Canada’s Best Places to Live 2009 list – click here to see the complete article
The Greater Peterborough Area is a unique community known for its exceptional quality of life and beautiful setting in the Kawarthas tourism region. The Greater Peterborough Area has everything - a multitude of recreational opportunities, a diverse industrial, commercial and agricultural base, quality health care and excellent schools - including two post-secondary institutions. The Greater Peterborough Area is just one hour from the Greater Toronto Area. Real estate is affordable, the air is clean and communities are safe.
With a population of approximately 135,000 (increases substantially in the summer season) the Greater Peterborough Area is the regional centre for East Central Ontario and draws from a market population of 350,000. Peterborough's proximity to major markets in Canada and the northeastern United States, combined with an effective transportation system that includes the largest commercial airport between Toronto and Ottawa, and four-lane access to the Greater Toronto Area, makes the Greater Peterborough Area an unparalleled setting as a business location.
On the Trent-Severn Waterway in the heart of the Kawarthas tourism region. One hour to Canada's largest market (Toronto). Six million people reside within a 320km (200mi) radius. Approximately 60% of Canada's population and 40% of the United States' population live within a 800km (500mi) radius.
Our Quality of Life Really is Exceptional
- A safe, clean, waterfront community - close to the big city yet far enough away to enjoy a distinct character.
- Identified by a national outdoors magazine as one of the "Best Places to Live, Work and Play in Canada."
- Recreational opportunities abound: boating, swimming, fishing, golf, parks, zoos, camping, hiking, festivals, skiing, snowmobiling, theatre, cultural experiences, farmers markets… to name a few.
- Four-lane divided highway (35/115) to Highway 401 and Greater Toronto
- Major trucking company routes.
- Full rail service capabilities.
- Municipal Airport with 5000' lighted runway and published GPS approach.
- No noise restrictions.
- Toronto airport is 90 miles (140 km) by major highway.
- On Trent-Severn Waterway linking Lake Ontario to Georgian Bay
- 74,600 (City of Peterborough)
- 135,000 (County and City of Peterborough)
Kawartha Pine Ridge District Public school board http://www.kpr.edu.on.ca
Peterborough Victoria Northumberland & Clarington Catholic District school board -- http://www.pvnccdsb.on.ca
Trent University - http://www.trentu.ca
Sir Sandford Fleming College - http://www.flemingc.on.ca
Kawartha Montessori School - http://www.kawartha-montessori.org
Children’s Montessori School - http://www.childrensmontessorischool.com/contact.html
Lakefield College School http://www.lakefieldcs.on.ca
Peterborough Regional Health Centre - http://www.prhc.on.ca
The Peterborough Regional Health Centre (PRHC) is a newly constructed, state-of-the-art regional hospital with a proud local history extending back over a century. PRHC services a population of 300,000 people in four counties. Our hospital is the region's largest employer with more than 2,000 staff, approximately 350 physicians with privileges, and boasts more than 600 volunteers.
Peterborough is rich in sports – as spectators and participants. For those that want to participate Peterborough has many associations/organizations that offer opportunities for children and adults at any skill level. If you are more into spectator sports Peterborough is well known for its Ontario Hockey League and Senior Lacrosse teams.
Peterborough Pete’s Hockey - http://www.gopetesgo.com.
Peterborough has enjoyed much success and paved the way for many hockey legends, and its successes have helped to put Peterborough and the Petes on the map throughout the hockey world. The Peterborough Petes are operating as the oldest continuous franchise in the Ontario Hockey league and in the Canadian Hockey League. For a small community, Peterborough has become recognized globally as being a “Junior Hockey Factory”. It has produced a record number of National Hockey League players such as Eric and Jordan Staal, Chris Pronger, Steve Yzerman, Bob Gainey, Mike Ricci, Tie Domi, and coaches/managers with the likes of Scotty Bowman, Roger Neilson, Mike Keenan, Gary Green, and Dick Todd.
The Peterborough Lakers Senior Lacrosse - http://www.peterboroughlakers.ca/Schedule.html
The Peterborough Lakers are a Senior “A” box lacrosse team and play in the Major Series Lacrosse Senior A Lacrosse League. The Lakers won the Mann Cup in 2004, 2006 and 2007.
Arts & Entertainment
Peterborough Theatre Guild - http://www.theatreguild.org/index.php
Showplace Peterborough - http://www.showplace.org
Art Gallery of Peterborough - http://www.agp.on.ca
Peterborough Centennial Museum - http://www.peterboroughmuseumandarchives.ca
Canadian Canoe Museum - http://www.canoemuseum.ca
Galaxy Cinemas - http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/TheatreDetails/625859E0/Galaxy_Cinemas_Peterborough.aspx
For more information on the Greater Peterborough Area visit the City of Peterborough website at http://www.peterborough.caor the County of Peterborough website at http://www.county.peterborough.on.ca
Some information on this page is taken from the Community Profile document issued by the Greater Peterborough Area Economic Development Corporation and the Peterborough Kawartha Tourism website.
Real Estate Broker
CENTURY 21 United Realty Inc., Brokerage*