I recently returned from Political Action Committee (PAC) meetings in Ottawa. At these meetings we were given a great deal of information about the work that CREA does as it pertains to the national agenda. I will share some of this information with you over the next few blogs. I was impressed by all that they do to help all Canadians enjoy a better quality of life. I think you will be too.
CREA has recently began its implimentation of the Quality of Life program. This is a new program for CREA which entails working with local people and organizations to improve our communities and to plan a better future. This is, of course, an area where REALTORS(r) shine since communities are the heart and soul of our business.
REALTORS(r) are some of the most active volunteers in the community logging thousands of hours helping out various organizations. There are 5 principles to guide all Quality of Life projects. They are, in part:
- Ensuring Economic Vitality - REALTORS(r) believe a vibrant economy with strong employment is the single biggest key to our quality of life......
- Preserving our Environment - REALTORS(r) support policies that encourage conservation and the wise use of natural resourses. REALTORS(r) believe government must accommodate quality commercial, industrial and residential growth using innovative planning techniques. At the same time, the government must recognize the need for a healthy economy, the importance of local decision making, private property righhts and attainable homeownership opportunities.
- Protecting Property Owners - REALTORS(r) believe private property rights are fundamental to our free-market economic system. REALTORS(r) recognize and protect the natural right to own property. A strong economy depends upon preserving the righht to freely own, use and transfer real property.
- Building Better Communities - REALTORS(r) believe communities flourish best when they offer a high quality of life at a reasonable cost. Livable communities offer a variety of affordable housing, nearby employment opportunities, an economically viable commercial sector, good schools, safe neighbourhoods, quality public services, ample recreation and park areas, open space and efficient transportation systems. (sounds a bit like Metro doesn't it?)
- Providing Housing Opportunities - REALTORS(r) believe home ownership is the dream of most Canadians, and deserves a preferred place in our system of values. Every Canadian has the right to safe, decent and affordable housing........