In the winter time, as the temperature drops, the water pipes in your home are more likely to become frozen. If they do become frozen, there is a strong likelihood they will burst.
Burst pipes will start leaking water quite quickly and before you know it, your carpets and other valuable items may be damaged or destroyed. This is not exactly an ideal situation for a homeowner!
That is why preventative maintenance is so important for the security of your home and family.
Here are some things that you can do to prevent this from happening to your home:
1) Insulation – Make sure there is plenty of insulation around the water tanks.
2) Insurance – Make sure you have adequate insurance or it could cost them a large sum of money to fix.
3) Stop tap – Make sure you know where it can be found in case of an emergency.
4) Washers – Place one in each tap if it is dripping to prevent freezing. Dripping taps can freeze and cause blockage.
5) Assistance from friends/neigbours – If you go on a vacation during winter, make sure your friends and/or neighbours can come over to check on the pipes from time to time.
In the event you do have a burst pipe, try and do as much as you can to minimize the damage such as:
Covering valuable items in your home.
- Finding the stop tap and shut off the water.
- Starting thawing out the pipes and make sure that there is a sink nearby you can use to drain the thawed water.
- Calling a plumber right away.
It is often said that “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. When it comes to the best asset you will ever own, it is a smart idea to make sure that it keeps its value and protects your family for many years to come.