Get your home ready for spring!
Spring is around the corner! We will finally bid goodbye to a very long and cold winter. The excitement is already in the air! It’s also a great time to get your house ready if you’re planning on selling. Even if you’re not planning on selling, these tips should come in handy for the maintenance and upkeep of your home. From the interiors of your home to the exterior, we’ve got it all covered!
Get ready for the Spring Thaw – As Spring approaches, Contractors tend to get extremely busy. If you have major/minor repairs that would require the services of a Contractor, this is the right time to call. As the snow starts to melt, there are so many things to watch out for as a homeowner. Here’s a few that are crucial:
- Remove Snow from around your foundation. Pay particular attention to the areas around window wells.
- Most lots drain along the outside edges. Remove snow from these areas.
- Clean any snow/ice left from around the bottom of your downspouts and extend downspouts at least two metres so water drains away from your foundation.
- Consider using sandbags to block water from entering low lying areas beside your foundation.
- Basements can allow moisture in. Ensure the proper and regular maintenance of basement flooding devices in your home. Some pumps need power to operate, so consider installing a back-up power source.
Take a look at the exterior– The exteriors of your home have taken a lot of wear and tear during this winter. Get the outside of your home spring ready by following these tips:
- Walk around your home, and examine caulking around the windows and doors. Open the windows and doors, and look at weather stripping. Replace old or cracking caulk and weather stripping.
- Inspect the roof for broken or missing shingles.
- Replace cracked/old garden hoses.
- Rake away any leaves.
- Wash the windows from outside.
- Pressure wash any concrete.
- Power wash vinyl siding, brick walls if need be.
- Plant foliage and Shrubbery.
- Freshen Up any outdoor furniture.
- Check the Air conditioner before the summer to ensure its working.
Interior Reminders – Once you are done with the exteriors, here’s a few reminders for the interior of your home:
- Clean the windows from inside.
- Clean off ceiling fans.
- Test all the emergency systems in your home i.e. home alarm, fire alarm, carbon monoxide alarm and fire extinguishers to ensure they are working properly.