In my opinion, these are the 5 most important things that a buyer should consider when purchasing a rural property.
1. Water Source - the water most be clean and have a good flow rate. A property without water is almost worthless.
2. Septic - A proper sewage system is vital to the resale of any property.
3. Foundation, the weight of a building lies on its foundation, this must be in good repair. If it isnt, the building probably isnt either.
4. Roof - the purpose of a home is to provide shelter from the elements. A roof is usually costly, although fairly simple to repair.
5. Heat Source - In Canada, winter can usually last for 4-6 months. Heat is vital, and heat sources are usually changable if operating expenses are too high.