If you are planning on selling your home, the most effective way to attract buyers this spring is hosting an open house. Open house is an effective marketing tool as it brings potential buyers together for a short time. Make sure you are organised do not get taken over by the excitement as along with potential buyers you home will be accessible to strangers so it is very important to take all the precautions needed. Five tips that come handy to help you stay safe and secure in the selling process.
- Watchful: The second person that cares about your home equally is your neighbour so there is no harm in asking them to keep an eye on your home. Introduce your realtor to the neighbour and give them an idea about the open house dates and times. When you know your neighbour is watching over your home while you are away is not just a mental relief but this also give you a chance to relax in between all the stress that comes along with the selling.
- Valuables: Make sure you have hid all your valuable possessions such as jewelry and money. Empty all cabinets as often prospective buyers may decide to peek especially make sure you have all electronics, extra keys, garage door openers, important documents in a filing cabinet, and prescription drugs in your medicine cabinet put away safely.
- Family calendar: Be extra vigilant and make sure to put any personal belongings on display away some of the most overlooked items are the family calendar, family pictures children/family.
- Check In List: In a open house a ton of strangers will be going to be entering your home during this process, if there are any unexpected prospects showing up without appointments during this list comes handy. Never let any potential prospect or agent that you are unaware of into your home without having them contact your realtor to schedule a specific appointment.
- Lock up: When your home is done showing for the day, it is important to remember to check all doors and windows to make sure they are locked. While you may have locked all of the windows prior to the showing and trust that your realtor took care of locking up, a criminal can easily remember to unlock a window or door to enter in at a later time. Make sure to do a quick check after every open house to ensure yours and your family’s safety.