Getting your home ready to sell
I have compiled a list of things to consider completing when getting your home ready to sell. These are a few easy ways to make your home more appealing to potential buyers.
1. De-clutter – The most important thing you can do to boost the appearance of your home is to de-clutter. This is the perfect time to donate or get rid of any items you don’t need or use. This will make your home look bigger and draw more attention to the layout.
Examples: Clear off counter tops, mantels and dressers to show off the room, clear out corners of the rooms to maximize space
2. Depersonalize – Put away family pictures, religious items, memorabilia etc. This will assist potential buyers in seeing themselves in your home rather than think of you in it.
3. Organize – Organize cupboards, closets, offices etc. Organization shows pride of ownership. It is very hard for some people to look past areas that are not neat and tidy.
Examples: Use storage bins, pile papers nicely, remember to organize the garage
4. Light bulbs – Make sure all light bulbs are working. This is often overlooked but very important.
5. Curb appeal – This is also overlooked often as most people focus on the interior and forget about the exterior. When potential buyers pull up to your home the exterior is the first thing that they see. Ensure it is welcoming and show that you care about all areas of your home. This is reassuring to buyers.
Examples: Ensure it is inviting by removing lifeless plants or trees, ensuring the grass is always cut or driveway and walkway shoveled. Add potted plants on porch.
6. Clean – Complete a deep clean prior to listing. Take the time to clean thoroughly then continue to maintain as the home is listed for sale.
Stayed tuned for my next blog that will include a cleaning checklist. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.