For Full Blog with pics (click here)
Why make your own hash browns when you can buy frozen cut ones? Few reasons, frozen hash browns are pre-cooked and deep fried, by making your own, you control the oils, the spices, and by using fresh potatoes, you not only get a better quality and more nutritious breakfast side dish, but also a significantly cheaper dish. Potatoes by the pound are considerably cheaper than buying pre-made frozen hash browns and fries!
- Potatoes of your choice
- oil (olive, canola)
- frying pan
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- decide if peeling is necessary, wash potatoes
- cut potatoes in small cubes ** THE TRICK ** to do this quickly and effectively, cut two (2) flat sides of the length of the potato, allowing the potato to lay flat on the cutting board, then with the potato on its first flat side, make length wise cuts through the potato every 1/4 inch keeping the ends uncut, flip to other flat side and repeat length wise cuts, again keeping the end uncut. Now cut the potato width wise every 1/4 inch. Done right, you will be left with a hand full of cubed potatoes.
- add oil to frying pan and turn to medium heat
- add cut potatoes when oil is heated
- add spices (salt, pepper, paprika)
- toss and mix, keep an eye on potatoes mixing every few minutes to ensure potatoes are cooked evenly
- should take roughly 20 minutes (use this time to get your eggs, bacon, toast, coffee and juice ready)