Don't spend your winter escape worrying about your house. Here are some easy tips to help protect your biggest investment while you unwind.
Make it seem like you never left
- Have a friend or family member either house-sit or drop by your home daily.
- Use light timers to turn on key lights in the evening, giving the impression that you're home.
- Install motion lights in entryways to surprise and expose trespassers.
- Have your mail collected or put a hold on your subscriptions to prevent obvious vacation mail build up.
- Don't broadcast your vacation to everyone you know, especially online. Save your excitement for close friends and relish the post-vacation envy your social media posts and photos will bring.
Prevent indoor disasters
- Drain your water pipes and turn off the main water valve to prevent pipes from bursting if they freeze.
- Turn your furnace down and change the filters if you notice a lot of build up.
- Double-check all combustion appliances, such as gas stoves, to make sure they're off and not leaking into your home.
- Unplug valuable electrical devices in case of a power surge while you're away.
Put your house on lockdown
- Don't hide the extra key outside: instead place it in the care of a neighbour or close friend.
- Make sure all windows and doors are secured, even high ones and those in your garage.
- For sliding windows and doors, consider placing a bar across the indoor track for added security.
Now relax and enjoy your trip!