BUYERS TIPS to buying a cottage.
1) Determine how much are you prepared to spend and how far you are willing to travel. Focus on the location and the property. Remember, you can change the buildings and improvements, you cannot change the location or the land.
2) Get your financing in order. Consider dealing with a bank in the area where you're contemplating a purchase. Local bankers have a feel for the local real estate market and the requirements for lending for vacation properties.
3) Buy the cottage that is most suitable for you right now. Your wants and needs will change over time; you drove the mini-van when the kids were growing up, now you're in a convertible!
4) Work with a realtor who knows the area and the issues specific to cottage country. Very important to get into a database so you receive early notice of new properties as they come up.
- March 26 - First day of Passover
- March 29 - Good Friday
- March 31 - Easter Sunday
- April 1 - Easter Monday
- April 12, 1934 - Earth's highest-ever-recorded surface wind speed (372 km/h) noted at the Mount Washington Observatory
- April 14, 1921 - A world record for the most snowfall in a 24-hour period was set; 1.9 Meters in Silver Lake, CO
- April 16 - Black bears emerge from hibernation between mid-April and early May
- April 20 - Mid-April to late May, migratory Canada geese return to their nesting grounds
- April 22, 2010 - The world's strongest beer officially tested: Germany's Schorschbock 43 (43%)
- Muskrats mate in late April