Buying Home is a big decision...Rick Chauhan

Buying a home is one of the biggest decisions you’ll ever make. So when it comes time to signing on the dotted
line, make sure you don’t make that decision alone.
To help you put together the right team of professionals, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)
offers the following who’s-who list of experts and what they should bring to the table:
■ Real estate agent. Among other services, your real estate agent will help you find a home, write an Offer of
Purchase, negotiate a purchase on your behalf and save you a considerable amount of time, trouble and
headaches. When choosing the agent you want to work with, don’t be afraid to ask questions or call your
local real estate association for advice.
■ Lender or mortgage broker. Many different institutions lend money for mortgages, including banks, trust
companies, credit unions, caisses populaires, pension funds, insurance companies and finance companies. It
can be a good idea to shop around and speak with more than one lender before you make a choice. Many
Canadians choose to work with a mortgage broker because mortgage brokers don’t work for any specific
lending institution, they can often help you find a mortgage with terms and rates that will suit your needs.
■ Lawyer (or notary in Quebec). A lawyer can help protect your legal interests by ensuring the property is clear
of liens, charges or clean-up orders and will review all contracts before you sign them and your Offer (or
Agreement) to Purchase. Make sure your lawyer or notary is a licensed, full-time professional who understands
the local laws and regulations, has reasonable fees and can explain things to you in plain language.
■ Home inspector. When considering purchasing a home, you should hire a knowledgeable and professional
home inspector. He or she will be able to tell you if something in the home is not functioning properly, what
repairs need to be done and whether there may have been any problems in the past.
■ Insurance broker. An insurance broker will help you with property and mortgage life insurance. Your lender
can also help you with mortgage life insurance.
■ Appraiser. An appraiser will assess your property’s worth and help protect you from paying too much.
■ Land surveyor. You may need the services of a land surveyor if the seller does not have a current Survey or
Certificate of Location.

There are no comments

Thank you! Your comment has been submitted and is awaiting approval.

Rick Chauhan

Rick Chauhan

Real Estate Broker
CENTURY 21 President Realty Inc., Brokerage*
Contact Me