- Avoid dangerous winter travel problems by planning ahead.
- Have maintenance service on your vehicle as recommended.
- Check the antifreeze level.
- Keep the gas tank near full to help avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines.
- Prepare Your Car for Winter
- You can avoid many dangerous winter travel problems by planning ahead. Have maintenance service on your vehicle as often as the manufacturer recommends. In addition, every fall, do the following:
- Have the radiator system serviced or check the antifreeze level yourself with an antifreeze tester. Add antifreeze as needed.
- Replace windshield-wiper fluid with a wintertime mixture.
- Replace any worn tires, make sure the tires have adequate tread, and check the air pressure in the tires.