Sometimes when I take clients to look at potential properties I often wonder, “What were the owners thinking?” Far too often I walk into homes that I’m scared to take my shoes off. Whenever I put up a house onto the market, I am always firm with my clients that we need to have the house leave a good impression. This way we can sell it for the most money possible in the shortest period of time. If the house has issues because of the way it was prepared for the market, it will likely sit on the market for a while and sell for less than initially anticipated. For most of the homes that I see that fall into this category, these issues always seem to be the same.
Here is a short list of ten things that you can do to assist your home sells in a reasonable amount of time.
1. Clean the house like a very critical and noisy aunt is coming for the weekend. It has to be perfect!
2. Make sure that you do something to have the house smell like it is a home
3. Have some music that is appropriate to the buyer you imagine the house will attract. Jazz is always a good safe bet
4. Make the simple repairs to the house - a hole in dry wall, replacement of all of the burned out bulbs, repairs to carpets with holes, paint touch ups etc. No one wants to feel as though they paid top dollar for a home that instantly needs repairs.
5. De-clutter the space. People want to look at what they are buying not at your collection of wooden elephants or stacks of family photos. And no buyers needs to read the various numbers for the cell phones of every family member, doctor dentist etc. get that off the fridge
6. Organize every closet and drawer that is going to be part of the sale. If I am buying the kitchen cabinets and drawers I am going to look in them! Selling a 'junk' drawer just isn't appropriate
7. Do your best to make use of fresh flowers - nothing compares to the work of God in terms of colour texture and style - they help to focus the room and allow the buyer to imagine they would live in a house with fresh flowers every week.
8. De-personalize the space of family pictures. We want the prospective buyer to feel as though they are in their new space not visiting you at yours. REMEMBER, YOU ARE NOT BUYING YOUR HOUSE!
9. Spend either the time or the money to have all of the windows cleaned. Nothing makes people feel better than good sunshine. Clean windows give us the feeling of both a house that is well cared for as well as an openness that can be perceived when the window is really clean
10. Don't forget the curb appeal - flowers, in bloom, add a shock of colour to the front and makes the prospective buyer really want to see more. Lawns cut and cared for as well. Remember “you only get one chance to make a first impression".
If you are thinking about putting your house up for sale, call me. With these and some other simple principles your home will sell quickly and for top dollar.