Owning your first home is a great feeling and it may one of the biggest purchases you’ll ever make. So the more time you spend preparing, the easier your decision will be when you decide to find your next home.
The home buying process can be intense & stressful but it also can be very exciting. So before you start looking for your dream home, it is a good idea to have a clear picture of the type of home you want.
The best way to figure out exactly what you want is to make a list. It is good to have a picture in your mind and as you go further into the process, you'll find it helpful to have a list you can refer to especially when the "files" in your mind start getting overloaded.
Of course, once you start looking at homes, your list can change.
- you'll see things you never thought of
- the things you thought were important may not be any more
- and things you thought you could not afford, but you can.
So don't be afraid to make changes.
When writing your list, think of all the qualities you want in a home, in a neighborhood, and in a city. Include everything you think is important. While this won't guarantee that you will get everything you want, it will help you be able to prioritize what you think is most important.
- City where you WANT to live, which ones would you live in if you had to, and which ones you would NOT live in no matter what!
- Area of city
- School system
- Type of neighborhood (With kids, without kids, close to highway or main road, out in the country, etc)
- Type of home (Condo, Townhouse, Detached etc)
- Size of home (Square footage, number of bedrooms, number of bathrooms, etc.)
- Layout of house
- Yard (Landscaped nicely so you don't have to do any work getting it in good shape, not as nicely landscaped so you might get a better deal but need to put in more work, etc.)
- Price (Are you willing to pay less for an older house or one that needs more work?)
- Anything else that is important to you
If you're not sure what to put on your list, take a walk through the house or apartment you are living in now. Take a walk through the neighborhood. Visit a friend or neighbor. If you still need help call me anytime. The more information you have, the better!
So, do yourself a favour and find a quiet place, take a few moments to write out your list, put it in order of importance, and save yourself a bunch of stress!