Vacations are supposed to be relaxing, but they can become very stressful if you don’t make the necessary preparations to your home before you leave. Use Some Precaution to Help Prevent a Home Burglary While You're Away.
Year-round ways to discourage burglars
- To make sure your home is secure all year long, install the following:
- Home security system
- Strong exterior doors made of solid wood or steel
- Deadbolt locks
- Motion-activated sensor on an outdoor floodlight
- Block windows or locked window well covers for the basement
- Locks for your pet doors
Precautions to take just before and during your vacation
Some of the steps you can take to protect your home for vacation are to:
- Resist the urge to mention your trip on social media or in public.
- Make an inventory of your valuables, including serial numbers and photos.
- Stop the newspaper and mail (or ask a neighbor to pick them up).
- Park your car inside the garage.
- Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway.
- Put at least one light on a timer.
- Make sure your lawn stays trimmed.
Ways to lessen the impact once thieves get inside
Even though you've taken the necessary precautions to keep burglars out of your house, you don't want to make it easy for them if they get in. To secure valuables thieves commonly look for:
- Don't keep your expensive jewelry on your bedroom dresser.
- Don't store your Sterling silver flatware in the dining room hutch.
- Keep financial information and small valuables in a fireproof safe, in a hidden area of your house.