Clear plastic food and drink containers, egg cartons, berry and bakery trays can now be recycled through Durham Region's Blue Box collection program.
Recent market developments and advancements in recycling and sorting technology, Durham Region is excited to introduce new clear plastics recycling to its Blue Box program.
Known as "clear plastics" or "PET clamshell containers", newly accepted items include:
- Molded plastic bakery trays and cake domes
- Clear plastic fruit or vegetable containers and baskets
- Clear plastic egg cartons
- Single serve yogurt and pudding cups
- Clear cold drink cups and lids, such as iced coffee and smoothie containers
- Plastic take-out food containers, such as roasted chicken containers (including the black base)
After they are recycled, the materials are used to produce a variety of new products, such as lumber for outdoor decking, carpeting, fleece jackets and t-shirts.
For more information about Durham Region's Blue Box program, visit www.durham.ca/bluebox