Thinking of doing a home renovation? Here are seven things you need to know before hiring your contractor:
1. Get at least three references for the contractor you think you want to hire and thoroughly check all of them.
2. Ask for photos of previous jobs to ensure the workmanship. If you are asking for a specific job to be done, ask for photos of similar jobs so you know what you can expect.
3. Ask him about the last project he worked on and request a visit to speak with the homeowners.
4. Ensure that you have a signed contract outlining every job the contractor will do, how long it will take and how much it will cost. Contractors may not wish to commit to projects in writing, but you must insist on this. Itemized costs are also important so you know how the total amount is determined and can also set aside a small amount for contingencies.
5. Work out a payment plan that you both agree to.
6. Keep track of the job as it progresses, making him aware of any jobs not done to your satisfaction or any damage he may have caused (scratched floors, stained bricks, etc). Discuss these issues before final payment.
7. Contact online resources. Homestars.ca is a website where homeowners across Canada give unbiased reviews of their contractors - invaluable!
For more information on buying or selling real estate in Burlington, Hamilton or Oakville, Ontario, or if you have questions about current market trends, mortgages or interest rate information, please visit the Sean Kavanagh Real Estate Resource Centre at www.seansells.ca, or at www.seankavanagh.ca I'd be happy to answer any questions to accommodate all of your real estate needs. You can also contact me at 905-220-9198 or at www.realestatechat.ca as I am now a moderator on the Ontario Real Estate chat forum as well as the Burlington, Ontario sub-forum.
I look forward to hearing from you!