Fire Safety During the Holidays
This holiday season, the Prince Edward County Fire Department urges you to treat fire with respect.
"Before the festivities begin, test your smoke alarms and review your fire escape plan with your family and guests. Don't invite disaster to your holiday celebrations. Make sure every level of the home has a working smoke alarm. Just take a few life-saving minutes to protect yourself and your family.
Here are some fire safety tips for you, your family and friends:
- Make sure your cut tree is fresh, and keep the stand full of water at all times.
- At home or at work, make sure your tree doesn't block a doorway.
- Check all decorative lights before placing them on the tree and discard any frayed or damaged lights and cords.
- Keep your Christmas tree away from all heat sources and never place lighted candles on or near the tree. When large amounts of needles begin to fall off, it's time to get rid of the tree.
- Don't burn wrapping paper or ribbons
- Always use a fireplace screen.
- Make sure candles are in secure holders and place them out of the reach of children.
- Ensure that there is a properly installed and working smoke alarm next to each and every sleeping area in your home.
- Test your smoke alarms to make sure they are in good working order and change the batteries, if necessary.
- Ensure all members of your household know two ways out of every room.
- Make sure the fire extinguisher is kept in an accessible place and the owner knows how to use properly. Every home, camper and trailer should have a fire extinguisher.