Watch any HGTV Program that has anything to do with home selling and there is always a stager involved. Why? Well it is not just to add "drama" to the TV show (though I am sure it helps). It is because it really works! Below are 10 great points as to why staging may be one of the greatest advantages when selling your home, yet (sadly) most overlooked.
1. Most buyers will likely NOT fall in love with your decor…for every one that loves that red living room , there will be 9 that won’t. (Paint neutral. Lots of color can be incorporated into the room with cushions, artwork, a rug, window treatments and lots of other accessories.)
2. Most buyers CANNOT see beyond all your ‘stuff’. (Less is more in this case. De-clutter and remove any excess furniture. Make sure the traffic flow is not impeded in any way.)
3. Most buyers will be distracted by any personal photos, collections, etc. (These things make it too personal and the potential buyer will have difficulty visualizing themselves living in your home. So pack it all up and get a head start for when your house does sell).
4. ALL buyers are turned off by unpleasant odors, especially pet and cigarette smells. (Don’t mask with room fresheners, get rid of the odors. This may mean steam cleaning carpets, upholstery and draperies.)
5. Most buyers will notice how clean (or not) the house is. (Scrub, scrub, scrub everything!)
6. Most buyers will do a drive-by before deciding whether to look inside the house. (Curb appeal is huge.. that WOW factor outside will ensure the buyers are drawn to look inside the home.)
7. Most buyers today want, and are willing to pay more for a move-in ready home. (Do those long neglected fix-ups.)
8. Most buyers are looking for updated decor. (New light fixtures, kitchen/bathroom faucets & hardware, new countertops, updated flooring are all cost effective.)
9. Most buyers (over 90%) start their search for a home on the internet. (This is why it is important to have your home staged BEFORE the photos are taken for the MLS or private listing. Those photos are the all important ‘first impression’ buyers will get of your home.)
10. Most buyers are looking for lots of organized storage. (Clean out those closets, shelves, etc. If these are overflowing, it will give the impression that there is not enough storage in this house.)
Interested in selling your home? I can offer you a FREE HOME STAGING consultation when you choose to work with me.