- Prep time 25 minutes
- Total time 8 hours 30 minutes
- Portion size 8 to 10 servings
- 2 cups (500 mL) bottled strained tomatoes, (passata)
- 1 can (156 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tsp (10 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced pancetta
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes
- 900 g boneless beef pot roast, (top or bottom blade, or cross rib), trimmed
In bowl, stir together strained tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar and sugar; set aside. In slow cooker, combine onion, carrot, celery, pancetta, thyme, bay leaves, oregano, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes. Place beef over top; pour tomato mixture over beef. Cover and cook on low until beef is tender, 8 to 10 hours.
Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Transfer beef to cutting board; let cool slightly. Using 2 forks, shred into bite-size pieces; return to slow cooker, stirring to coat.
For more info:http://www.canadianliving.com/food/slow_cooker_ten...
Source: Canadian Living Magazine, November 2014