Roasting the cauliflower adds extra depth of flavour to this simple yet delicious soup. Don't be afraid to let the cauliflower turn a very deep golden colour (without burning it, of course)— the darker it is, the richer the roasted taste will be.
Roasted Cauliflower Soup With Cheddar Crostini image Credits: Roasted Cauliflower Soup With Cheddar Crostini image
- 1 cauliflower cut in 2-inch (5 cm) florets (about 8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 leeks (white and light green parts only), halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pkg organic vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup shredded extra-old Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cups shredded extra-old Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 16 slices baguettes
Place cauliflower on rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with oil. Roast in 425 F (220 C) oven, turning occasionally, until very deep golden on all sides, about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, in skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook leeks and garlic, stirring, until leeks are softened, about 6 minutes.
In blender, in batches, pur?e cauliflower, leek mixture and broth until smooth; transfer to large saucepan. Stir in 1-1/2 cups water, pepper and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in Cheddar cheese and mustard. Simmer, stirring, until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
Cheddar Crostini: Mix Cheddar cheese with parsley. Spread mustard over baguette slices; top with cheese mixture. Bake on parchment paper–lined baking sheet in 425 F (220 C) oven until cheese is melted and bread is golden, about 8 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes before serving with soup.
Source: Canadian Living Magazine