- Prep time 25 minutes
- Total time 25 minutes
- Portion size 4 servings
- 225 g spelt spaghetti
- 2 cups (500 mL) sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 bunch (450 g) asparagus, trimmed and cut in 2-inch (5 cm) lengths
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) crumbled soft goat cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated lemon zest
- 4 tsp (18 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh chives
- 6 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh mint
In large pot of boiling lightly salted water, cook spaghetti according to package directions, adding sugar snap peas and asparagus during last 2 minutes of cooking. Reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid, drain.
In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; add garlic, hot pepper flakes, salt, pepper and nutmeg; cook for 1 minute. Stir in peas. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in milk and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in half of the goat cheese until melted. Stir in pasta mixture, lemon zest, lemon juice, half of the chives, the basil, mint and enough of the remaining cooking liquid to coat; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Scrape into dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese and chives.
Source: Canadian Living Magazine: May 2014