So, you’ve just bought a lot, now you are planning to build. What are some of the things that you need to consider when working with your home designer? Let’s start by looking at some rooms & spaces that you may pass by.
Closets are often overlooked due to their “utility” nature. However, if you have space to build a walk in closet, make sure you include the following:
- Ensure you have power outlets! Maybe you need to charge something, or have an extra light plugged in.
- Add a motion sensor to the lights, so there’s no fumbling around for a switch!
- Make sure you have more space than you think you need! You’ll always need more storage space!
Some outdoor ideas for seasonal stuff!
- Ensure you have exterior outlets under the eaves for holiday lights with a switch inside to easily turn them on and off.
- Additional space for hangers for plants, decorations.
Most of us have pets, and they usually get relegated to a space in the Kitchen, garage or the like. However add these things for them to make them feel at home!
- Plan a place for food and water! Even have a tap for easy filling!
- Place for their bathroom – if you have a litter box, maybe add a small exhaust fan to keep the smell out of the house!
Some really good ideas, for all around your house!
- Hot and cold outdoor taps – good for bathing animals, and cleaning the vehicles!
- If you are planning on an outside BBQ, run a gas line and save money!
- Put a master light switch in the master bedroom that turns off all exterior lights.
- Plan where furnace/AC vents will go in each room to ensure maximum coverage.
- A place for Fire Extinguishers
These are just some ideas. Research online for more and remember, if you are able to design your place, make it the best!