Whole grains for the health of it
(NC)—Health conscious Canadians will be glad to know that whole grains may help lower their risk of developing chronic disease and may help with weight maintenance. Take a look at the good news about whole grains:
• Heart Disease: Whole grains may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
• Healthier Body Weight: Whole grains may play a role in maintaining a healthier body weight.
• Diabetes: The Canadian Diabetes Association suggests that high intakes of whole grains are associated with a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes.
Best of all, whole grains taste great. The following tips can help you enjoy the goodness of whole grains everyday:
• Sprinkle whole grain cereal on your yogurt or pudding.
• Use whole grain cereal when making muffins and cookies.
• Choose whole grain breads, muffins, pitas, crackers and tortillas.
• Whole grain cereal can make a crunchy topping for salads.
• Keep a few snack bags of whole grain cereal in the car with you for times when you are hungry on your commute.
• Enjoy whole grain pasta.
• Take whole grain cereal to work with you for a healthy snack you can keep in your desk and munch on while you are working.
• Whole grain cereals can be used to make tasty snack mixes.
Make sure you get the whole grain advantage. You can learn more about whole grains by visiting the whole grain website: www.areyougettingenough.ca.