January is a time for new beginnings, new goals, and most importantly, CHANGE. Some of us plan to get in shape, while others want to greater their success. The problem is that many of us don't realize how important it is to properly set a goal. That being said, here are 5 helpful tips for goal-setting:
1. Write it down. This may be one of the most important things to remember. Thinking of a goal in your head is very different than writing it down and being able to visualize it. Better yet, leave a post-it somewhere you'll see it everyday such as your bathroom mirror. A constant reminder to keep yourself motivated!
2. Be specific. Include the details such as how you will attain the goal and specifically what result you would like from it.
3. Make sure the goal is measurable. For example, if your goal is to "be happier", how can you define your level of happiness? It is important to be able to evaluate your progress.
4. Make sure the goal is attainable. Don't set goals that are blatantly out of your reach. Set the bar high while being realistic about it. You don't want to set yourself up for failure.
5. Set a deadline. Failing to do this could result in postponing your goal.
When it comes to goals, the journey is almost better than the destination. Almost. All the best in 2013!