The spring is an excellent time to list your home. It is a time of renewal for your property, both inside and out. With that in mind, here are a few tips to present your home to its full potential in the spring and summer months. When I work with clients I always advise them to stand back to the street and look at the property - this is the first impression that potential buyers will have when viewing your property - now you can begin.
1. Front Door - rejuvenate your front door with a fresh coat of paint. Colourful doors often bring a modern feel to your home and make it stand out like a Michael Kors purse. If you're looking at a new style of door, I would suggest a craftsman style door as it offers a timeless accent to the face of your home.
2. Seasonal Flowers - place plants of colour on porches and decks to welcome spring. A great example of this is the geranium - this hardy plant does well in all light and humidity and can produce an array of colour (a perfect choice for those of us who favour low maintenance gardening!).
3. Break out the lawn chairs! Create outdoor living spaces so buyers can see themselves entertaining friends or having summer bbq's. By creating outdoor entertaining space you are expanding the amount of living space that your home possesses.
4. Christmas is over: Please, PLEASE take down Christmas lights, decorations, or any signs of the holidays - focus on the season ahead.
5. Yard Clean up - trim shrubs and remove any dead plants and leaves to make way for new growth in the spring.
6. Make em shine! Make sure to wash your windows, both inside and out. A little vinegar and newsprint goes a long way to make streak-free shine.
7. "The Lawn" - everyone notices a tidy lawn - ensure you mow the lawn and rake it when the grass starts to grow.
8. Fine lines finishing touches - edge along walkways and driveway. If walkway stones are shifted from the winter, tidy those up as well. A neat and tidy walkway shows that you take care in your property and can set the tone for what you will expect inside the home.
9. De-clutter and Organize - railings and steps should be free of debris, as well as sturdy and strong. A nice clean path to the door is always best - remove dog leashes or anything other objects that a buyer could trip on.
10. Lighting - sometimes buyers may drive by or view a home in the evening. Make sure that you change out all burnt-out light bulbs and to freshen up or change any rusty fixtures - it goes a long way!
If you follow these ten steps you should be well on your way to preparing your property for market during one of the housing market's busiest times. You'd be amazed at what you can achieve with small touches - your property is sure to improve of value as a result.
Are you interested in further home staging tips and advice? Please contact me anytime - I would love to discuss how we can make your property shine. firstname.lastname@example.org