- Never burn gift wrappings, boxes, cartons, or other types of packing. They burn far too rapidly.
- Always use a screen in front of the fireplace to protect against flying sparks.
- Never use gasoline or any other flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Use only seasoned and dried wood.
- Never leave the fire unattended or smouldering.
- Clean the ashes regularly. Place the ashes in a metal container and store outside.
- There is often a tendency to overload outlets during the holiday season. This is unsafe.
- Inspect all cords before using. Look for loose connections or frayed or exposed wire.
- Insert plugs fully into outlets. Poor contact may cause overheating or shock.
- To avoid possible overheating, do not coil or bunch an extension cord or run it under carpets or rugs.
Grease and fat fires are a leading cause of home fires, so be extra careful when doing this kind of cooking. Here’s what to do if grease in a pot or pan catches fire:
- Smother the flames by covering with a lid.
- Turn off the heat immediately.
- Use baking soda (flour can be explosive) on shallow grease fires.
- Never turn on the overhead fan, as this could spread the fire.
- Never throw water on a grease fire.
Last but not least …
make sure your smoke detectors work!