As temperatures turn cooler and home heating systems get fired, homeowners should learn to recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and how to safeguard against it.
Carbon monoxide poisoning presents like the flu -- headache, dizziness, and nausea. As a result, many people confuse the two.
Sometimes, the consequences are fatal. Each year, carbon monoxide sends 40,000 North Americans to the emergency room and, as we learn from CBS News, those that survive are far more likely to develop and die from heart disease later in life.
Stay safe in your home.
- Don't heat your home using your gas oven
- Don't leave a running car in your garage
- Service your gas-burning appliances annually
And, most important, install carbon monoxide detectors near every bedroom in your home.