---Taken from the public announcement at Oakville.ca on Tuesday, August 21, 2012
Are you ready to give Oakville’s 2012 Olympic heroes a standing ovation? Mayor Rob Burton and Members of Council have invited local Olympians Adam van Koeverden, Diana Matheson, Douglas Csima, Kyle Jones, Tera Van Beilen and Mark Oldershaw to a public reception on Saturday, September 15 starting at 2 p.m. in downtown Oakville's Centennial Square.
To kick start the celebrations, a motorcade will transport the Olympians along Lakeshore Road in downtown Oakville to Centennial Square for the official reception and autograph session.
“Oakville’s athletes really stood out in London,” Mayor Rob Burton said. “They trained for years and their hard work paid off. I’m hoping everyone will join me in publicly recognizing their accomplishments by coming out to give them a proper hometown welcome.”
Outstanding Olympic results by Oakville athletes include:
- Adam van Koeverden’s silver medal in the men's kayak single (K1) 1000m
- Douglas Csima’s silver medal in the men’s 8 + rowing competition
- Diana Matheson's winning goal and bronze medal as part of the women's soccer team
- Mark Oldershaw’s bronze medal in the men's C-1 1000m
- Kyle Jones as the highest finishing Canadian triathlete in the London Olympics
- Tera Van Beilen’s near berth in the finals of the 100m breaststroke
Residents interested in volunteering at the celebration can contact Elizabeth Tamas at email@example.com.
Centennial Square is located at the corner of Lakeshore Road and Navy Street, in front of the Oakville Public Library and the Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts.
Senior Communications Advisor
Town of Oakville
905-845-6601, ext. 3788