Halton police say residents trying to dry out items that got soaked in Monday’s flooding need to be vigilant about keeping an eye on their valuables.
Halton Regional Police say they have responded to many calls for service during and after the torrential downpour.
Since then they have heard concerns from citizens regarding the potential theft of personal property as affected residents have been salvaging items from their flooded homes to air dry them.
Police say officers are patrolling streets with theft concerns in mind.
They’re asking residents to consider the following tips when air drying property:
- Use backyards and other secure areas for laying property to dry
- Don’t leave drying property unattended
- Consider other methods of storage, such as portable storage pods
- Consider working with neighbours to keep an eye on each others’ belongings
- Call police if you notice suspicious activity in your area
- Make a note of your property and any serial numbers in case a theft occurs
- Properly dispose of electronic devices or personal documents that contain personal information
If you suspect the theft of property, call police to file a report. Further resources are: Halton Region: 311; City of Burlington: 905-335-7600; Halton police: 911 (emergency), 905-634-1831 (non-emergency).