So you've decided to sell your home, you've called your Hisey-McDermott Team agent to help you understand the process and maneuver through the real estate market. Now it's time to figure out what you can do to make sure potential buyers fall in love with your house. Here are some tips to get you started as you spruce up your home and make the necessary changes to maximize your showing potential.
Start at the curb in front of your home and work your way into the house. Imagine you are a potential buyer, what do you see that needs attention? What would cause you to hesitate before buying? That's a good place to start!
Outside Your Home
- Repair cracked or uneven driveway and sidewalk surfaces, treat any grease stains on the driveway or garage floor.
- Mow your lawn and re-seed any sparse areas. Prune trees or shrubs, then weed and mulch flower beds. Invest in a few brightly coloured annual flowers to help freshen up the garden.
- Remove any junk or garbage stored around your yard or shed. Clean up the garbage and recycling bins or boxes.
- Ensure your eavestroughs and downspouts are clear of any leaves or debris and are in good condition.
- Power wash the deck or patio surface; take care of any necessary painting, staining or sealing.
- If you have a swimming pool, ensure that the deck and pool are clean and fencing is compliant with municipal by-laws.
- Check that all outside lights are operating properly; replace any broken bulbs and clean fixtures of all dirt and cobwebs.
- Check the general condition of the roof. Repair any sagging sections, curled up or missing shingles and repair any leaks.
- Have a look at the exterior paint of your home; faded colours and cracked or peeling surfaces might need to be repainted.
- Polish the front door handle and knocker, oil the door hinges, wash the door and paint if necessary. Think about investing in a new welcome mat or hanging flower basket. This is the first impression that your home will make to potential buyers, make sure that it looks great, not old and run down!
Check back here for tips on getting the INSIDE of your home ready to sell too!!