It's not quite time to put your gardening tools away!
Although we don't want to admit it, the sun is starting to set earlier and the nights are getting much cooler. There are a few steps to take to get your garden winter ready to preserve it for next year.
Here are a few tips for your trees, shrubs and flowers:
- Remove any annuals that are dead or dying.
- If you have any leaves or stems that are diseased, discard by burning or disposing appropriately.
- Cut back your soft-foliage perennials (you can use as compost).
- Prune any diseased/damaged stems and weak branches that won't hold heavy snow and spin some twill around your evergreens to keep them together.
- Till the soil, lightly, and lay up to six inches of manure or triple mix and be sure to edge flower beds.
- Plant any spring flowering bulbs you like!
Enjoy the last of the warm sun while it lasts!
The Hisey-McDermott Team
CENTURY 21 Miller Real Estate Ltd., Brokerage
467 Speers Rd., Oakville, ON L6K 3S4
Independently Owned and Operated
905-845-9180 x 230