As a homeowner there are a lot of things that you can do to save energy in your home. Conserving energy is not only great for the environment and the community but will also help save you a lot of money.
Here are 4 simple tips to help you save energy in all areas of your home:
1. When doing laundry, wash clothes in cold water and use an outdoor clothesline this summer to save energy from the water heater and dryer cycle.
2. Install low-flow shower heads and dual flush toilets. Both will save the quantity of water needed and the energy used to pump it through your bathroom.
3. Raise the temperature in your fridge, freezer and air conditioning system. Even a couple of degrees can save you money over the course of the season.
4. Always turn lights off when you leave a room, keep windows and blinds open to let in natural light and change out all your light bulbs for compact fluorescent bulbs.
For even more information on how to implement energy saving changes in and around your home this summer, head over to the "Oakville Conserves Energy Fair". Event information is below or you can visit Oakville.ca for more information.
Saturday, May 25, 2013
9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Town Hall, South Atrium
1225 Trafalgar Road
This annual community event showcases green energy information, services and products from companies, groups and agencies from across Halton and the Greater Toronto Area. Over 15 exhibitors will be available to offer advice and demonstrate their products. Oakville Hydro and Union Gas will offer tips on how to conserve energy at home, Solar Ontario Ltd. will showcase solar thermal heating for pools and you’ll get a first-hand look at the latest energy efficient technology such as an electric car designed and built by Sheridan College students.
There will be something to appeal to all ages and interests. Residents will also have an opportunity to learn about energy conservation at two free workshops:
- 10 to 11 a.m. — Learn about Oakville’s ecological footprint and the town’s energy conservation initiatives.
- 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. — Qantas Building Science’s Shawn Good offers money-saving energy conservation tips you should know before renovating or purchasing a home.
For more information on the Oakville Conserves Energy Fair, visit the Energy Conservation page.