BEEP, BEEP, BEEP... It is not your morning alarm. I am talking about your smoke and carbon detectors. Those little alarms that annoy you when you “overcook”.
You know the saying “When you change your clocks, change the batteries”. There have been stories in the news lately involving house fires. This is a friendly reminder of how important these words are and if you haven’t yet – please check, change and clean your detectors.
The Ontario Building code requires a working smoke detector on every level of your home, in every bedroom and directly outside the sleeping areas.
Did you know that battery powered detectors have an expiry date? Check them regularly to be sure they are working properly! If in doubt about their ability to perform or how long they have been around, REPLACE them. Their cost is relatively low – considering the lives of your loved ones are priceless.
Since smoke rises, there are specific areas that smoke detectors should be installed. Here is a diagram to show correct placement. Maintain your alarm. Dust and debris can cause them to not properly function. Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, toxic gas. It replaces oxygen in the blood and prevents the flow of oxygen to the heart, brain and other vital organs.
Carbon Monoxide can cause: Headache, nausea, burning eyes, fainting, confusion, drowsiness. The symptoms can mimic the flu but if more than one person experiences these at the same time and symptoms improve once outside the home, there may be a leak.
In Ontario, Carbon Monoxide detectors are required near sleeping areas in residential homes. Although not required, I would recommend one placed inside your home near the entrance to your garage. If there is a buildup of exhaust in your garage and it is penetrating your home, you will be alerted.
For more information visit The Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs at http://www.oafc.on.ca.
Stay tuned for Part 2: Extinguishers and The Plan. Remember you can always message me any inquiries at email@example.com.