Waterdown Real Estate Listings and Information
Waterdown has been a community in Hamilton since 2001. In 1974 Waterdown was amalgamated with East Flamborough, West Flamborough and Beverly townships to form the town of Flamborough. Waterdown is expanding greatly, with the recent addition of a YMCA and several commercial establishments and big box stores. There are going to be at least 6,000 more houses built in the near future, and there is an ongoing discussion regarding the planned $ 50 million “Waterdown By-Pass” which would allow for easier access to the city. Waterdown District High School has also recently voted to expand its facilities.
Many waterfalls are located on the local portion of the Bruce Trail, such as Grindstone Falls, Smokey Hollow Falls, and Barnes’ Falls. The waterfalls originally powered a saw mill and gristmill when the town was founded, and later a number of small mills. The last operating mill ceased operation in 1912, today only the ruins of the mills remain, although a lookout and signboard detailing the history of the area are located over the falls. Waterdown also has many wetlands trails in the eastern end of town, which are well marked and have information signage. Tourists may also want to visit Waterdown in October to November to visit the Rotary Haunted House, which has been in operation for 16 years. Waterdown is home to local community institutions such as PickWick Books, Red Sky Designs, Waterdown Cycle and The Waterdown Legion. Waterdown is also home to “North Wentworth Community Centre and Arena” which is the local hockey arena.
Waterdown has several historical buildings, such as the American House, the Local Library and Town Hall. The American House was built in 1824 and is one of the oldest hotels in Ontario and was prominent during stage coach travel. Ownership has changed many times, but The American House has always been a hotel, except during prohibition. It also contained the last old-time stand up bar in Ontario. The American House is still open today as a restaurant.