Today’s blog is about winterising homes. If you are thinking no, no, not yet, please just keep reading. We may not want to but we need to accept that the beyond crazy cold weather is coming. If there is any place that would require homes to be winterized it would be Winnipeg. This is something that everyone here or has ever been here in the winter would agree. Here is a list to get you started on this task:
1) Furnace Inspection – Have your furnace and clean ducts. Stock up on furnace filters and change them every few monthly. If your home is heated by a hot-water radiator, bleed the valves by opening them slightly and when water appears, close them. Remove all flammable material from the area surrounding your furnace.
2) Get the Fireplace Ready - Arrange to have the chimney or flu cleaned. Buy firewood or chop wood. Store it in a dry place away from the exterior of your home. Inspect the fireplace damper for proper opening and closing.
3) Check the Exterior - Use weather-stripping around doors to prevent cold air from entering the home and caulk windows. Replace worn door stops at the bottom of all exterior doors. Clean out the gutters and use a hose to spray water down the downspouts to clear away debris.
4) Yard Work & Snow Prep –Drain all garden hoses. Drain outdoor faucets and cut off water. Drain air conditioner pipes and, if your AC has a water shut-off valve, turn it off. Store or cover and seal window air-conditioners and cover central air-conditioning units. Service or tune-up snow blowers. Replace worn snow shovels. Sharpen ice choppers and buy bags of ice-melt / sand.
5) Safety - Change batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Buy a fire extinguisher or replace an extinguisher older than 10 years.
In a few months when you are enjoying your warm home you will be pleased with yourself for the efforts you put forth winterizing it. Just think of the added benefits of the lower heating costs!
If you ever want to talk Winnipeg Real Estate...get in touch with me: (204) 987-2100 or 1 888-880-2121 email@example.com //www.century21.ca/en/Search/gerry.carriere/MyListings