Just a few steps can help to reduce your energy bills this winter. Direct Energy has provided this handy checklist.
- Clean or replace the furnace filter every three months or according to directions.
- Sign up for a heating protection plan. The better ones give you a 24 hour emergency service and an annual inspection by a licensed technician ensuring the system is in optimal working condition.
- Boost the insulation to a minimum of 30 cm. or 12 inches especially in the attic and basement.
- Install a programmable thermostat to lower the temperature at night and when you are not at home.
- Use the ceiling fan to re-distribute warm air that rises. In winter the blades should rotate clockwise.
- Close the registers in unused rooms and unused areas to conserve heat.
- Investigate the advantages of replacing your conventional furnace with a high-efficiency one.